UPDATE on RICKETT'S GLEN (State Park, PA) Field Trip--Columbus Day Weekend.
The following are clarifications & revisions to this field trip originally described in the September VIEWFINDER. It's not too late to sign up for this trip, but making motel/hotel reservations ASAP is wise in light of the popularity of fall foliage viewing at Ricketts and in that region. CONTACT ME if you are interested.
- DATES: Saturday Oct. 12 thru Monday Oct. 13 (Columbus Day); two nights (Saturday & Sunday).
- Overnight Accommodations - BUDGET INN at Bloomsburg, PA has assured me that there should be good availability of rooms for the Columbus Day weekend. $79.50 per room (with 2 guests, as of sept 24th). There are several other chain motel choices in the Wilkes-Barre area between $55 and $85/night, including Economy,Quality Inns, Days Inn, Super 8, Ramada, and Red Roof Inn (as of Sept 24).
- We will meet for the HIKE on Sunday morning to hike up to and photograph the falls! The route 118 trailhead and parking lot (see map) begins the 1.5 mile hike (one way) to the first waterfall along the Falls Trail. 5 to 7 falls are accessible in the lower stretch of the loop hike near the lake/pool ("Waters Meet"), depending on how much you want to hike. Contact me for exact details. See map for trail, trailhead & the park: http://mappery.com/map-of/Ricketts-Glen-State-Park-map
- Hike rating (by the DCNR): "Hikers on the Falls Trail should be in good physical condition, wear sturdy boots, and use caution due to slippery/wet conditions and steep trail sections." The lower section, as described above (to the "Waters Meet" pool) is less rigorous and would be considered moderate. The upper sections: strenuous.
- Distance/Time: 3.5 to 4 hours to either Ricketts OR Wilkes-Barre (from Bowie); 215+/- miles.
- See original article in Sept. Viewfinder.
- Two campsites (at the Ricketts campgrnd) have already been reserved, and there is space for YOU, if you're game!!
If interested or if questions, RSVP Don Andberg email@example.com
, 443 812-1217 cell.